Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Harley In The Movies Or TV Series

Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3125

• raymondphilippe
Just the other day I was watching an episode of the new Dutch TV series called Overspel when Steve Harley's song Sebastian was featured as background music in an emotional scene.
Goosebumps!

Are his songs featured in other movies/tv series etcetera?
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3127

• cockneyr3bel
Make me smile is in the FULL MONTY,and i think BILLY ELLIOT.It has been played in numerous dramas,including corrie.was also used as the theme to a documentry about fraud/benefits,hosted i think by dom littlewood,but i cant remember what it was called.also MR SOFT was used in an advert for trebor soft mints,but i dont think it was steve singing it,i think they used a sound alike,im sure that was talked about in an interview steve did with either,DLT or aled jones.

Re:Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3128

• jaybradway
The Glam fictional-history film "Velvet Goldmine" (of which there is a soundtrack CD) has several Steve Harley songs, one performed by a contemporary group: "Tumbling Down" is played by the band 'Venus in Furs'. And then the FINAL song for the title is "Make Me Smile" in its original form.. I saw this film in the theater when it first came out and went WILD as I did not know it would have Steve Harley songs in it.
Also, I THINK, there is a short live scene where the Bowie-like lead character is signing "Sebastian".
Its a cool DVD to get, you can find it easily for sale on Amazon.

Re:Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3129

• cockneyr3bel
make me smile was also in BEST-THE GEORGE BEST STORY,SAVING GRACE,BLACKBALL,and an Marks + Spencer advert.
checkout wikipedia.it doesnt list billy elliot,so maybe i got that wrong.
i had completly forgotten about velvet goldmine.

Re:Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3131

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
jaybradway wrote:
The Glam fictional-history film "Velvet Goldmine" (of which there is a soundtrack CD) has several Steve Harley songs, one performed by a contemporary group: "Tumbling Down" is played by the band 'Venus in Furs'. And then the FINAL song for the title is "Make Me Smile" in its original form.. I saw this film in the theater when it first came out and went WILD as I did not know it would have Steve Harley songs in it.
Also, I THINK, there is a short live scene where the Bowie-like lead character is signing "Sebastian".
Its a cool DVD to get, you can find it easily for sale on Amazon.

That movie is how I discovered Steve. I read he wasn't so fond of it, but I was 19 when it came out and it blew my little mind. Hahaha. That's 19 year olds for you though. Such an influence on me for such a long time.

You're correct about Brian (the Bowie-esque guy) singing a snippet of Sebastion. I would have rather had Thom Yorke sing the songs in the movie instead of Jonathan though. Jonathan is a great actor, but well...Thom is just, obviously a better singer.

In general I'd love to see a Steve inspired movie. How excited would that be?
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:Harley In The Movies Or TV Series 12 years 10 months ago #3132

• Mr Raffles
There's been many movies about the lives of pop/rock stars.Wouldn't the story of Steve Harley make a really fascinating and interesting film? His early life battling polio, the newspaper work as a journalist,the folk clubs and the gradual and determined rise to fame.Even thou Steve isn't as huge as stars such as Bowie. Elton John.Freddie Mercury etc i reckon it would make a brilliant drama either for TV or Film.
  • Page: