Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under

Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4850

• stewart g
Cracking picture of Mr H and Joe from down under.
What's Joe's musical journey and history? anyone have any ideas?
Great stuff from Judy and Jim re the Australian experience - feel were all part of it! :)
Judy can you record any of Steve's shows from the radio and get them to Stella?..perhaps she could then work her tricks and then get them up here on the web?

Keep us all updated Judy,our official Australian correspondent! :)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4851

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
here you are stew....

Joe Matera is an Australian solo instrumental artist and rock guitarist. As a 20 + year veteran of countless original and covers outfits, his impressive playing CV includes, being lead guitarist in Australian rock outfit GEISHA (2007 - 2010) and founding lead guitarist for classic rock band DOUBLE VISION (2003 - 2008). He has also contributed guitar to a number of various projects and recordings, one of which include being guest guitar soloist on legendary UK metallers Atomkraft's scorching cover of Thin Lizzy's 'Cold Sweat'.

One of his original guitar instrumental compositions, 'Starry Night' also appears on the soundtrack to the Australian movie Ricky!- The Movie (Nov. 2011). He also served as lead guitarist in the orchestra for award winning stage productions of Les Misérables and Chess. As a seasoned live performer, he has shared the stage with some of Australia's top acts such as Dragon, Taxiride and others. He currently records and performs as a solo instrumental artist. His first official outing as solo artist was the acoustic instrumental 'Travellin' West' in Sept. 2010. In November, 2011 he released Slave To The Fingers an all-electric instrumental EP CD via European record label W.A.R Productions. He continues to write and record original music, as well as, perform shows around Melbourne, playing and performing with various artists.

A respected music journalist as well, his many interviews and features have appeared, and continue to appear in, countless music magazines around the world. From Australian Guitar and Rolling Stone in Australia to Classic Rock, Guitar & Bass, Guitar Buyer, Acoustic, Metal Hammer, Performing Musician, Total Guitar, Kerrang! and Record Collector in the U.K. From Guitar World and Goldmine in the U.S to Guitarra Total in Spain and to Chitarre in Italy. He also provides exclusive interviews to Ultimate-Guitar.Com, and has contributed to UK's Guardian Series Newspapers' 'Limited Edition' magazine as well as Fairfax Newspapers' M magazine, The Sunday Age in Melbourne, Australia.

During the course of his career, Joe has interviewed a who's who of the music world, as well as, spent time on tour with numerous artists. Artists the calibre of Aerosmith, Metallica, Guns & Roses, The Sex Pistols, Thin Lizzy, Foo Fighters, Matchbox Twenty, Kiss, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Steely Dan, Roxy Music, The Doors, Bon Jovi, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard, Queens Of The Stone Age, Korn, Motorhead, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Marilyn Manson, Cheap Trick, Hinder, Tool, Triumph, Stone Temple Pilots, Ratt, The Cars, The Smashing Pumpkins, Queen, Nickelback, Alice Cooper, New York Dolls, Slayer, Badfinger, Foreigner, Blondie, Yes, Megadeth, HIM, Linkin Park, The Shadows, John Mayer and many, many others.

might be worth a visit to Bolton Albert Halls on sat sept 29th to see this guy play.
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4852

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
here is joe matera and his band geisha doing an unplugged version of rock classic 'tin soldier'. excellent.

although this is how it should sound....absolute classic from the small faces with guest vocalst p.p.arnold.
TURN THIS UP AND ENJOY ONE OF BRITAINS GREATEST EVER BANDS. :woohoo:
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4854

• stewart g
Thanks for the info Jim and the links..love the Tin Soldier video's very impressive. You right Joe has a superb CV and he's obviously a fantastic player! Bet Steve and Joe are sounding great in Australia!
The Albert Halls show sounds a good idea,any news where the Manchester gig is being played at?

Re: Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4855

• newiejudy
Stewart, thanks for the compliment! I only wish I was as good as Jimbo at getting info to you ... he seems to be able to provide links etc at the drop of a hat, while I'm trying to work out how to do it!!! If I can manage to tape any interviews etc I surely will & get them to you all ... rest assured I am checking things daily ( tv, radio, newspapers etc ) but don't seem to be having much luck - there's heaps on boy band one direction who are here & stealing all the limelight but no news on Steve unfortunately. I'll keep on searching though.
Judy xxx

Re: Steve and Joe Matera, Men at Work, Down Under 12 years 5 months ago #4857

• stewart g
Thanks Judy!
Ah,One Direction..now where will they be in 40 years ? ;)