Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Euro 2012, thoughts.

Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5685

• psychomenagerie
Well Ingerland have gone by the wayside, & yet another tournament ends in penalty agony, listening to Talksport today, it seems most people are split down the middle as to whether its been a good or bad tournament for England, & basically I'm also split as well, on 1 hand, I didn't think we'd get out of the group stage, let alone win the group. And certainly I didn't think we'd beat the Italians, but I also expected a better showing than last nights weak performance, but, then again, 1966 aside, England have rarely, if ever done anything to suggest they are more than a quarter final team, in either World, or Euro's.
Englands disappointment aside, overall I think its been one of the best tournaments I've seen for a long time, & I still fancy Germany to win it.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5690

• joanna
Wasted all evening watching it.... should have stayed doing my lawn and border edges and weeding !!!
As non footie person!!! I dont think we actually got into the game...We need to seriously start growing some English talent.... now there`s a thought. How the heck to do that?
nuff sed.. B)
Smile x

Re: Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5691

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
I am not a football fan. No-one in my house is but we watched until the end of the second 45 minutes. I guessed that that no goals would be scored in extra time and that it would go to penalties and we'd lose so I skyped with my sisters instead. It might have been good for the morale of the country if we'd got a bit further but frankly we didn't deserve to.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5695

• psychomenagerie
Reading many views around the web about the performance, one guy asked, "how come a nation as small as Portugal can produce such a talented team, & we still play the way we do?" IMO, its down to the mental attitude in this country, & how the powers that be in football adore players who can run, run, run, & who can smash a football further than Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball, rather than encourage players who have natural ability and flair. I first watched an England game back in the early '70's, and nothing has changed in all that time, during that period we've produced a handful of players with what I'd call outstanding natural ability, players like, Worthington, Marsh, Currie, Hudson, George, Hoddle, Barnes LeTissier, yet how many caps between them have they won, because they're deemed an "uneccessary luxury," won't, "give their all for the cause" whatever the hell that means, and so we always rely on the tried, and not so well trusted method of players with great "engines" who can get from box to box for the full 90 minutes, the fact they actually do buggar all between the boxes is irrelevant, they can RUN, and as far as I'm concerned until we start encouraging the few flair players we produce, were going to have to put up with the same old boring rubbish we've endured for the last 40 odd years, players who seem to lose the ability to pass a ball to a teammate less than 5 yards away from themselves, who can't trap or control a ball, but can run a marathon a each day of the week!

Re:Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5742

• Pandorah
Im not a footie Fan ! Don't get it ! ( well !until tonight, that is! ) Now correct me if im wronge ! But that game I just watched between Spain and Italy Was just brilliant Now If that is what it's all about ? I get it. Fantastic Spain.excellent players.I know a good team when I see one. That's why I know Mr Harley and his team are simply one of the best in their field. . They know their game :-) excelent players all of them Rock on Steve Harley and & Cockney Rebel.

Re:Euro 2012, thoughts. 12 years 2 months ago #5743

• psychomenagerie
No you're not wrong Pandorah, that was a great game, and Spain truly are an incredible team, overall a great tournament.