Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cockney Rebel '73 and movies,bands...after them

Cockney Rebel '73 and movies,bands...after them 12 years 1 month ago #5880

• Nebojsa1975
lets talk what i think about first cockney's and what happend in other parts of world (USA) after them.First to tell that rock n roll started and been more in UK and Europe (Deep Purple,Cream,Zeppelin,ok lets say Beatles,Rolling Stones...) then in USA (Janis Joplin,Grand funk railroad-from country+blues+jazz=rock,The doors...),my opinion.Second, i didnt see band before cockney's that wearing same special clothes with faces made up playing songs on stage and looks so unique with style like actors.If someone of you watched The Warriors movie (USA)from 1979 know what i mean.9 members of gang wearing same clothes example (baseball furies+faces made up too).Third, watch Steve on roualt's channel, videos where he carry leather hat and black clothes.On who that reminds you?Well, for me that reminds me on heavy metal rock bands that become later in USA 80's again with faces made up too.And some of them are Guns n Roses (watch early Axl Rose on concerts)...well this is something that i payed attention after all i watched,listened,... maybe there something that i didnt observed thru years, but on the end i must tell that most things Steve and Cockney's started and spreaded to the world after.Does any of you agree with me?Thank you
Human Menagerie front cover of LP album i never gonna forget.From my childhood till today.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Cockney Rebel '73 and movies,bands...after them 12 years 1 month ago #5881

• Mr Raffles
Steve always seemed to produce an image and sound that was totally original.Of course there were influences such as Roxy,Bowie,Cabaret,Clockwork Orange etc but he cleverly fused those elements together to create a look that 40 years on doesn't look at all dated.

Re:Cockney Rebel '73 and movies,bands...after them 12 years 1 month ago #5942

• DaveE
Hello Everyone,
Been ages since I visited, hope everyone is well.
We all end up labeling music and that's natural, but I would disagree that "rock 'n roll" started in the UK, it was pretty much a US export. The Stones & The Beatles certainly started out playing rock n roll American standards, although The Stones may have been more blues influenced. While I'm not sure if any of the bands mentioned credited Elvis as a catalyst for their entry into music, many other British artists do.
Cream were always a bit of a mish-mash - Clapton from the blues and Bruce and Baker from Jazz. Interestingly, I recently watched a great documentary on Cream, Baker seemed very bitter over Bruce and Pete Brown getting royalties for most of Cream's output.
If memory serves me correct, Deep Purple came more from British pop than rock n roll.
Zeppelin? I love that band but they nicked so much it was almost criminal. Well, considering that they later paid royalties and gave credit to others for their stuff, it probably was criminal :laugh:

Although I don't have all of Steve's output, what I would say is that he keeps true to his principles (perhaps to his financial cost). It's actually hard for me to work out where his influences may have come from, hence some originality.
Anyway, just my opinions, late here in the Pacific Northwest and ready to call it a day.
As far as clothing goes, fashions come and go, I'm hoping that the loon pants I bought at the Great Western Festival near Lincoln (UK) in 1972 will come back in fashion soon, I'm fed up with comments at work.
www.ukrockfestivals.com/Great-Western-Fest.html