Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should Have Been A Monster

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5895

• stewart g
Some fantastic singles/music in the lists so far..
How could I forget Sebastian
and Big Big Deal ?. Whilst Like A Hurricane is a timeless classic! :)Rebel....ebay might be the answer for the Gillian Burns single? :)
Really impressed with GedKen's list,that Metro song is great and The Roy Harper track a real winner just like his magnificent When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease and Overnight Sensation was a real turntable hit around the North West in 76! My old mucker Graeme will be well impressed with that choice! Must admit I had Linda Lewis with My Friend The Sun in my original list she does a great version of the Family song!and how about How Glad I Am by Kiki?.GedKen who are Head East?
In the 1980's when local commercial stations could go their own way and not stick to a very narrow playlist each morning on Manchester's Piccadilly Radio's Breakfast Show with the late great Tim Grundy they had a Should Have Been A Monster feature where a track was played nominated by a listener..
most days it was the song of the show!
Off to play (love) Compared With You and Home Thoughts From Abroad that's some choice...
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5897

• Paul Friett
I Lie & I Cheat - Won Ton Ton

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5901

• GedKen
Hi stewart g,

Head East are an American band (still going I think). I heard this track on the Old Grey Whistle Test years ago and was transfixed. I don't think anything else they did reached the standard of this track.

Thinking of the Old Grey Whistle Test I should have included Be-Bop Deluxe somewhere in the list as well as PFM's 'Chocolate Kings'.

In fact you can hear the whole of PFM's 'Chocolate Kings' album on Youtube.

It's a beautiful, short album, and I never found another of their albums that reached this standard of quality.

They may well have been influenced by Steve's work. 'Chocolate Kings' came out in '75, soon after Psychomodo.

I've never made the connection before. I'd be interested to read what you think stewart g (and others).

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5906

• RachelPAtoSH
Dandy In The Underworld - T.Rex with SH on backing vocals; I really loved that track myself, and will be at Shepherds Bush with my family to see Steve perform it, as Lead Singer for the first time ever. RACHEL

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5909

• Graeme
Ok Stew, here we go.... B)

Brian Wilson - Love and Mercy
The Only One's - Another Girl Another Planet
Don McLean - Dreidle
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Pavlov's Dog - Julia
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Frankie Miller - Brickyard Blues
The Kinks - Celluloid Heroes
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Salamanda Palaganda
Bee Gees - New York Mining Disaster 1947

Can I have another 10?

Re:Should Have Been A Monster 12 years 1 month ago #5910

• Graeme
If you're having 11 Stew then so am I..
Pilot - Just a Smile :)