& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: From a Wickham Festival-goer

From a Wickham Festival-goer 12 years 1 month ago #5949

• RachelPAtoSH
Re the latest Diary:
Very touching,made me cry too.
Have just seen you and your band at Wickham, Hants last Friday 3rd August . What a wonderful show .I have always loved your better known songs not owning any albums but never expected such superb quality . Thank you so much will stay as a treasured memory. Hope to see you again.
Angela
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:From a Wickham Festival-goer 12 years 1 month ago #5961

• Jojo
Plaudits from here, too, for Wickham. Hadn't heard of it before, but friends who'd emigrated there from west London invited us. They were excited about The Proclaimers! We were rather more tempted by KT Tunstall, then I saw Cockney Rebel on the bill and couldn't believe my luck – that will keep me going until November and Birmingham, I thought! Couldn't tempt the 10 year old or the 16 year old into the tent ('Mum, we KNOW who Cockney Rebel are!') but after threading my way gently through the camping chairs and picnic rugs was rewarded with a brilliantly chosen set, including the extraordinary 'Sling It!'. Most of the crowd were only familiar with the 'pension' songs, though as brilliant songs they are not to be in any way dismissed because of their popularity. SH, please don't apologise, and well done for playing the hits too. But as a captive audience (no one was getting out of there fast, even if they'd wanted to) they were treated to some fantastic musicianship. A funny little festival in picturesque Hampshire countryside, but the right size if you don't like mud, crowds, camping (even a Liberty-print tent and Fortnum's hamper wouldn't tempt me) and value style over substance. I've been going to see Cockney Rebel in its various guises since about 1975, though not for a few years. What lingered long after the event was that the musical virtuosity simply increases over time. November in Birmingham is going to be something incredibly special.
Please login/register to post on the forum.