Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NME Ultimate Icon

NME Ultimate Icon 12 years 3 hours ago #6189

• psychomenagerie
As well as running polls this year to find out their readers favourite song, and album, nme's website has been conducting a poll to discover their ultimate icon of the last 60 years, they've come up with the following top 10,

1. John Lennon
2. Liam Gallagher
3. David Bowie
4. Alex Turner
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Amy Winehouse
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Morrissey
9. Noel Gallagher
10.Ian Curtis

Each to their own I suppose, personally I have no argument with nos. 1,3,7,& 8, but the others, really no.2 a guy who sang on 1 great LP, 1 quite good LP, and then nothing of note ever again, ditto no.9, no. 4, I wouldn't recognise that guy if he got in my taxi! & 5,6, & 10, not wishing to speak ill of the dead, but ultimate icon of 60 years, someone, somewhere is surely having a laugh!
I'm no great fan of Paul McCartney but surely his achievements alone deserve a place in the top 10, Jagger, Mercury, Dylan, Marley, Harley, Springsteen, Davies, Townshend, John, Strummer, the list is almost endless, but then again, in a country where soap opera's are the most watched tv shows, the sun the biggest selling newspaper, and "reality" tv show participants become national celebrities I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore!
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:NME Ultimate Icon 11 years 11 months ago #6193

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
psychomenagerie wrote:
As well as running polls this year to find out their readers favourite song, and album, nme's website has been conducting a poll to discover their ultimate icon of the last 60 years, they've come up with the following top 10,

1. John Lennon
2. Liam Gallagher
3. David Bowie
4. Alex Turner
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Amy Winehouse
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Morrissey
9. Noel Gallagher
10.Ian Curtis

Each to their own I suppose, personally I have no argument with nos. 1,3,7,& 8, but the others, really no.2 a guy who sang on 1 great LP, 1 quite good LP, and then nothing of note ever again, ditto no.9, no. 4, I wouldn't recognise that guy if he got in my taxi! & 5,6, & 10, not wishing to speak ill of the dead, but ultimate icon of 60 years, someone, somewhere is surely having a laugh!
I'm no great fan of Paul McCartney but surely his achievements alone deserve a place in the top 10, Jagger, Mercury, Dylan, Marley, Harley, Springsteen, Davies, Townshend, John, Strummer, the list is almost endless, but then again, in a country where soap opera's are the most watched tv shows, the sun the biggest selling newspaper, and "reality" tv show participants become national celebrities I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore!

Perhaps we could list our own icons here. I'm sure I could think of ten but in no particular order and maybe 2 or 3 of NME's list would be on mine......and Paul McCartney wouldn't. :laugh: :laugh:
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:NME Ultimate Icon 11 years 11 months ago #6205

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
OK, I'll have a bash.

1. Bowie
2. Marc Bolan
3. Steve Harley
4. Richard Thompson
5. Leonard Cohen
6. Bob Dylan
7. Alex Harvey
8. Sandy Denny
9. Kate Bush
10. Dave Swarbrick.

Bubbling under... Nick Drake, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith.

I really don't get the Gallagher brothers, third rate Beatles tribute band.