Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift

Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7061

• Andy Wood
Four days had passed sleeping & watching at Mum's hospital bedside.The culmination of 3 long years as cancer ravaged Mum's body and stole her dignity mercilessly.Her mind held sway a little longer offering one last conversation to cling to.With her body slowly shutting down I needed to be with Mum when she passed on and with the Symphony Hall & Harley beckoning,I was torn.

I knew Birmingham would be special but not as special as Mum's last breath.I needed to be there to hold her hand, no second chance.I sat holding her cooling hand telling of my love and the memories we shared as Saturday's sombre dusk closed in.Her fragile form could bear only a gentle caress and her forehead, a light kiss.

With the air of death cloaking the room ,weak but significant squeezes of my hand by Mum's hand gripped my mind.Just a couple of minutes of her touch seemed to tell me Mum would wait for me.I suddenly knew and from being torn, there was no doubt.She had sent a message.

I left the Leicester Royal infirmary at 5.45 in unforgiving weather and arrived at the Symphony Hall drenched but sure, sure Mum would wait.

Tears stole down my cheeks as the Symphony Hall awakened to Hideaway , 2500 people unaware, happy in their worlds.Mum was true to her squeezes, giving me her final gift.
Bye Mum, love you x
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7062

• psychomenagerie
Oh my word Andy,that is heartbreaking, deepest sympathy to you at this sad time.

Re:Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7065

• Chungabear
So sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you.

Re:Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7067

• Liddyminto
  • Rediscovered Steve Harley after IndigO2 Dec 2011.
Andy, there are few if any things in the world than a mother's love. I'm glad that your mum was able to show her love for you in this way. I shed a tear as I read your post. May happy memories help you in your grief. Thank you for sharing.

Re:Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7068

• PeterJH
Heartbreaking. Deepest sympathy to you and your family at this sad time.

Re:Symphony Hall-Mum's last Gift 11 years 9 months ago #7070

• Tglyn
Always treasure your mum no matter what, Andy you are a one off and she would be so proud of you.
Thanks so much for sharing your feelings but make sure you look after youself for a little time, maybe with some of Stephens music.
Heart goes out for you Andy, keep strong.
Tony & Jackie xx