Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Norwich gig report - wow

Norwich gig report - wow 11 years 9 months ago #7210

• My Only Vice
Norwich, wow.

After the spectacular Symphony Hall I was trashed for 3 days. I couldn't get off the buzz, the high wouldn't leave me. Concentrate at work? No chance. I was in a Cavalier-induced Harley fog for 3 days, maybe more. And I didn't care.

3 days before I returned to some sort of normal, and now it feels like it's happening all over again.

I'm just in from another superlative gig, this time in Norwich. The arts centre, housed in a 15th century church (of Saint Swithun) built of solid Norfolk flint and memories, now stage to Steve, James and Barry. And boy, did they command the stage.

Gone was the grandeur and ceremony of the Symphony Hall, in it's place came a relaxed intimacy, delicious acoustics and playful new treatments of songs we know and love so well.

The acoustics of that old church were truly wonderful, and without the embellishment of 50 or so musicians it helped give space for appreciation of every note, every nuance, every word. The concert was at times beautifully lingering and mellow, and never less than absorbing.

Steve's banter with the audience was warm and unforced and he even got Norwich to sing - several times! OK, it was in that typically restrained self-conscious Norwich kinda way, but sing we did - and not even Delia Smith can get us to do that!

"Never the same twice"? Agreed. Different yes, just equally wonderful. That's my mind frazzled again until Monday!

Manchester, Glasgow . . . you'll love it!
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Norwich gig report - wow 11 years 9 months ago #7212

• budgiebird
Have to echo all of the above. Totally different to Birmingham of course, but every bit as special in it's own way in unique surroundings.

Ignored the warnings that Steve gave at Brum about those in the front rows not getting the best sound mix. I was just happy to bask, up close and personal, in the charismatic aura that exudes from him. In fact from that front row seat, it was almost like Steve was singing for me in my living room.

Full credit to the usually reserved Norwich audience, who sang their hearts out and sounded good. Hopefully Steve and the boys were made to feel welcome enough to want to come back again very soon.

Re:Norwich gig report - wow 11 years 9 months ago #7225

• tinakayt
Yes i agree with everything that previous two fans said.
After a busy day at work and the weather i was thinking should i go. As i thought i had seen the best in Birmingham. But i am so glad that i went, as it was a wonderful evening. and yes it did seem as though Steve was sing just for me in my living room too.Loved it!