Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tales Of Mystery And Imagination

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8468

• stewart g
In 1976 I really couldn't get enough of Cockney Rebel.So I was delighted to read of the forthcoming release of a new album by The Alan Parsons Project called Tales Of Mystery And Imagination.Here was Rebel's famous producer releasing an album on his own and helping him in the studio along with many other fine musicians were the likes of the brilliant ace conducter Andrew Powell,Tony Rivers,John Perry,Stu Calver,Frances Monkman and Ian Bairnson ( all players in the Cockney Rebel story) and then things got even better in 1977 when Stuart Elliott,Duncan Mackay and Steve H himself became a part of the Project on the album I Robot..I was in my element!!
At a time when my friends at school were into the end of Glam or the start of punk or the girls were stepping out into Disco music...not for me!! it was The Alan Parsons Project and no one had heard of em!! :P
The Project released around 10 albums till they split into two around 1990, and I admit to loving the albums today even more that I did all those years ago!!.( it's wonderful timeless music!) :)and all because a fan loved Cockney Rebel!! ;)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8471

• fantom
"The Turn Of A Friendly Card" was my favourite APP album.

Re: Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8472

• Pandorah
stewart g wrote:
In 1976 I really couldn't get enough of Cockney Rebel.So I was delighted to read of the forthcoming release of a new album by The Alan Parsons Project called Tales Of Mystery And Imagination.Here was Rebel's famous producer releasing an album on his own and helping him in the studio along with many other fine musicians were the likes of the brilliant ace conducter Andrew Powell,Tony Rivers,John Perry,Stu Calver,Frances Monkman and Ian Bairnson ( all players in the Cockney Rebel story) and then things got even better in 1977 when Stuart Elliott,Duncan Mackay and Steve H himself became a part of the Project on the album I Robot..I was in my element!!
At a time when my friends at school were into the end of Glam or the start of punk or the girls were stepping out into Disco music...not for me!! it was The Alan Parsons Project and no one had heard of em!!
The Project released around 10 albums till they split into two around 1990, and I admit to loving the albums today even more that I did all those years ago!!.( it's wonderful timeless music!) :)and all because a fan loved Cockney Rebel!! [/quote

I only have I Robot on LP
Can I get it on CD then ?

Hmmm ! You know Stewart ! This will never do !
I'm up to my neck in jobs and I'm getting nowhere fast !
I've only unearthed this bass box and speaker system thingy from the back of beyond ( Cupboard under the stairs )
And it only plugs into this iPhone ! yay !
so Im now playing cavaliers the 4 disc release . I'd downloaded on my iphone from amazon ( love it to bits ) as well as pre ordering the CD last year . (so it's in the car , and its on my iPhone )
and Now I have it blasting out in the bedroom !
Result !
So I'm now flat out listening to them early tapes I just love those little glimpses between the songs from the early demo s we never spied , from way back ! from days of old !
Steve's young voice ! hearing his comments and observation between tracks ! It's like Hearing little secrets never to be told !
magpie ! ( 7s for a secret ! never to told ! ) Kept from our ears ! for what seems now ,
from the beginning of time !

Hmm not a lot gonna get done today !
Takes me back to that other bedroom ! the one I was supposed to be doing my homework in ! ( In 74 ) Lol
Not a lot changes lol !
I'm still not getting on with the task in hand !
It's the voice !
I robot ! Fab LP . must dig it out !

Ah and I just remembered !
Im still wishing !
Hopeing ! we might get to hear 200 thousand years from now in April at the Bridgewater Hall
It's epic

Look forward to Seeing ya at Bilston Stewart !
I too, am looking forward always .

Re:Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8473

• stewart g
Fantom,Yes I Love also The Turn Of A Friendly Card.My fav tracks being Games People Play,Time ( which I think both dented the USA singles charts back in 1980?) and of course the wonderful title track with lead vocal by the one and only Chris Rainbow.Now there's another connection for ya! for it was on this very board many years ago that a fan mentioned that Chris is actually Chris Harley but his record company advised him to get a new surname due to the popularity of another Mr Harley at the time!! :)Chris of course was with The Project for many years and he made some fantastic solo albums.Indeed even his jingels for Capital Radio back in the day were fab!! ;)
Debs, yes those tracks found/saved for all those years of Steve with the early version of Rebel in the studio as featured on Cavaliers are very special.Really think at times we are dropping in on the session..how good would that have been?!! ;)
Music's with us from the past and for the future...that's a nice idea about 2000 years at The Bridgewater and as Andrew is also with Steve and he worked his magic on I Robot I wonder if they could throw in The Voice for us as well? :P
Your right I Robot is a cracking LP.I especially like Day After Day The Show Must Go On,the track gets me every time I hear it...stunning!!
I've got a spare copy of I Robot on CD will bring it with me to Bilston for ya!......

Re:Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8477

• fantom
Chris Harley, any relation ?
I have now discovered that he changed his name to avoid confusion/comparisons.
Mr Rainbow also sang on "Cloak And Dagger Man" from Camel's Stationary Traveller album.
Debs mentioned Magpie, now that makes me feel old.

Re:Tales Of Mystery And Imagination 10 years 11 months ago #8488

• Pandorah
[
I've got a spare copy of I Robot on CD will bring it with me to Bilston for ya!......[/quote]

:cheer: fantastic :cheer: your a star Mr Griffin

thank you so much :kiss: