Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Birmingham DVD My personal perspective.....

Birmingham DVD My personal perspective..... 10 years 11 months ago #8532

• stewart g
Well it's arrived and it's all come flooding back!...I remember in the late 1990's watching Steve,Robbie and Lily at Ronnie Scott's in Birmingham with my friend Mike J and many others!! when Steve said " I've been over to The Symphony Hall and met Al Green and one day I'll play there!" or words very much like that and so it was that on 24th November 2012 that Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel with Orchestra and Choir performed The Human Menagerie and The Psychomodo.
My world and many others I'm sure changed somewhat between 1999 and 2012 but "Maybe some things should never change" to quote Steve's sleeve notes.For me what didn't change is the support of friends and my love of the music of Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.
For it was my friends ( not Cockney Rebel fanatics like us guys on here) who said to me " Birmingham the Orchestra show we are going and so are you!!" and then I watched and observed as Jim P organised the Hotel and fans made arrangements to travel in from all over the world.I knew that something very special was going to take place!!And then just before the weekend itself I was contacted by Mark Scarfe at Aarlsen to say that some of my Rebel memorabilia was to be used in the programme..what a joy !! and I thought back to that young lad in Manchester in the mid 1970's who lived and breathed Cockney Rebel..my he would have been pleased!!
My Birmingham weekend was initially spent walking round the canal network 12 miles on friday and 15 miles on Saturday..touching the heart of Birminghams Industrial heritage,Bournville,Cadburys and even very close to St Andrews the home of Birmingham City.The walks were with my friends who had made sure that whatever I was at Birmingham.On Saturday we got soaked, it was wet and windy but all through the walk I knew that the "event" was just a little while away....
After finishing the walk,and meeting up with great friends like Graeme and Margaret,Peter Dukes,Debs,Phil C, etc, we made our way to the "Cockney Rebel Pub".I was drinking gallons of Tea, it's what us walkers do!! before a few close friends and I left the Rebellers and made our way to a very quiet meal before the concert.It was actually one of the best meals Ive ever eaten probably because I knew what the main course was to follow....
Since that weekend everytime I hear the word "Birmingham" I just smile,it might be a weather report,it might be the football results..whatever I just know that something great happened that night in Birmingham.
The DVD really is a fantastic souvenir of a memorable night.Even if you didn't get to Birmingham get the DVD you'll get the picture.
I was thanked in the souvenir programme for the use of some of my Rebel items ( how brilliant was that?) well I'd like to thank my friends for getting me there,My Rebel friends new and old for being great people and Steve Harley and all his great musicians for such wonderful times over the years.The music and the concerts and BIRMINGHAM will all live with me forever.
God Bless ya! and Thanks!! :)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Birmingham DVD My personal perspective..... 10 years 11 months ago #8533

• PeterJH
An excellent read Stew. Glad to call you a friend. Birmingham was very special, but haven't all our rabble meet ups been that way? Special times with special people. My dvd has still not arrived, so have not been able to express an opinion on that. Long may the good times continue.

Re:Birmingham DVD My personal perspective..... 10 years 11 months ago #8534

• cheri
It was a wonderful, wonderful night. I remember very well the wind and rain, but it didn't faze me. Jimbo, Julie Brown and I shared a cab to Jurys Inn and prepared for the big night. While we were waiting for Jimbo and Julie in the lobby, who should show up but Glynis and Judy. Glynis said, "Are you Cheri?" I said, "Yes." And she said, "I'm Glynis and this is Judy." Big hugs all around. :) They had already been to the pub and were on their way back to their room for awhile before the concert. Then, who should show up but Jonathan and his wife Sallie. Again, lots of hugs and smiles and excitement. Jimbo and Julie came down and we headed over to the pub. I remember my excitement at seeing Phantom standing dashingly at the end of the bar as ordered a glass of wine. We hugged and beamed at each other. I met so many fans that night and everyone was so warm and friendly.

Then the concert itself. We took our seats almost just as the concert began. It was so exciting, I could hardly contain myself. :D And we all know how fabulous the actual concert was. Seeing Steve and the band perform live is just the best thing ever, and having him backed by the orchestra and choir was absolutely amazing!

After the concert, I got to meet many more of the fans I knew from this website. It was a little confusing trying to remember names, particularly since most people on here have nicknames and real names. But we were all united in the common bond of loving Steve and his music. I remember drinking lots of wine (I had to take some Alka Seltzer the next morning), talking to loads of people, and partying until 4:00 a.m. What memories! What love pervaded the room. I'll never forget it.

I'm so much looking forward to The Stables and Bilston. I wish I could be like Jimbo and attend almost every concert that Steve does because it is such an experience of pure joy and immersion in the music. I can't explain why Steve and his music touch me so deeply in my heart. But it's so compelling that I travelled a very long way for two years in a row just to see him. And I'm coming again for more. I know I can't do this forever; it's a huge undertaking making all of the arrangements I have to make and financially impossible to keep coming so often. You guys don't know how lucky you are that Steve's concerts are so accessible to you. It's just the best feeling to watching him and hear him play.

Well, enough for now. I hope to see many of you soon. Harley people are the BEST people! :D

Love, Cheri