Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is Steve Harley a folk singer ?

Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1578

• Maelitta
I red here, under the typing of THE PHANTOM, that Steve Harley was a folk singer.

I was suprised as - for me - he can be sometimes a folk singer but cannot be caracterized as only a folk singer. And surely not at his beginnings !

Somewhere here also, Rachel wrote "the rock band" speaking of Cockney Rebel. That is another point of view.

Folk ? Rock ?

What do you think ? Somebody knows how SH considers himself ?
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1579

• leonacht
How Steve is thinking about himself is not an issue in my opinion . SH is a very strong personnality with a big spectrum in creating songs . His music can not be put in one direction . He has the capacity to work out ideas in very different music segments . That's why he is so attractive as an artist .
Even more ; the perception of every listening person , every audience is giving each song a different color .
' En plus ' , Steve live is strongly giving each song a higher
level , a bigger aura , no matter if catalogued under folk , rock , pop or whatever . We saw 4 gigs in the last 5 years and
can only tell that the same songs have a different perfume , depending on acoustic , full band , local concert-air , respect of the audience , set list and many other things .
So we are very happy to enjoy him & the band next saturday in Belgium . Greetz to all of you ,
Leo & Silvie

Re:Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1580

• Maelitta
Alors il est possible que nous nous voyions à Leffinge ! ;)

Sinon, je suis d'accord, il est relativement inclassable.
Mais on ne peut certainement pas le cantonner à un "folk singer". Il est quand même bien plus drôle et créatif que Dylan ou Tom Waits ! :laugh:

Re:Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1582

• crazy horse
Maelitta wrote:
I red here, under the typing of THE PHANTOM, that Steve Harley was a folk singer.

I was suprised as - for me - he can be sometimes a folk singer but cannot be caracterized as only a folk singer. And surely not at his beginnings !

Somewhere here also, Rachel wrote "the rock band" speaking of Cockney Rebel. That is another point of view.

Folk ? Rock ?

What do you think ? Somebody knows how SH considers himself ?
i cant quote steve exactly on this , but somtime around the time of his busking days ,he tried out his material in a few folk clubs (where people were invited to take an open mic)and though i dont beleive he has ever considered himself a folk singer,it was an oppurtunity to gain access to a live audience

Re:Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1583

• Maelitta
Yep. I think you're right, Crazy Horse.

Re:Is Steve Harley a folk singer ? 13 years 10 months ago #1585

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
OH DEAR, I SEEM TO HAVE BEEN MISUNDERSTOOD. I DID NOT SAY THAT STEVE IS A FOLK SINGER FULL STOP, BUT MERELY IMPLIED HE IS ONE AT HEART. I HAVE SEEN STEVE MANY TIMES AND HAVE MET HIM ON A FEW OCCASIONS TOO. WE KNOW STEVE CAN ROCK BUT IT WAS THE STORY TELLER IN HIM THAT I WAS REFERRING TO. STEVE'S MUSIC IS TOO VARIED TO PIGEONHOLE HIM INTO ONE SINGLE CATEGORY, A TRUE SIGN OF TALENT. I'M SORRY IF I CAUSED CONFUSION. XXX