Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Covers

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2638

• Rebel
I'm not disputing that Leamington was no doubt a brilliant gig. Over the years I have travelled all over the country to see Cockney Rebel and have never seen a bad performance. The playlist is always an emotive subject, since everyone has different favourites, as shown on this forum. As they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Steve has done a fantastic job re-introducing old songs. With 12 albums worth of material to choose from It must be a nightmare deciding what to leave out. I suppose this is my point, with so many great songs at your disposal, do you really need to look elsewhere for material?
Yes, most bands play covers. But would Prince not play Purple Rain? Would U2 not play 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'?. Springsteen - Summer of 69?
Steve has no obligation to play Tumbling Down 'all of his life' nor any song, but in my opinion it is such a Cockney Rebel anthem, that it is a must. I know Steve would not want the shows to become predicable, but with so much of his own material, there is always room for plenty of surprises and keeping the set fresh, whilst sticking to a core of classic songs.
Rachel, long may Steve have fun performing and at the end of the day it is his prerogative what he plays. I would have loved to have been at Leamington, and would have enjoyed it as much as anyone. What he doesn't play doesn't detract from a great concert - what he does play just adds to its greatness. So, in my humble opinion, singing along to 'oh dear look what they've done to the blues, blues, blues....' would have been the icing on the cake - albeit a very special cake anyway.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2639

• joanna
:woohoo: Oh yes, and that chorus got an airing too hey guys?
As said earlier.... Steve cant please everyone ALL the time and everyone has their ideal list.
Hear what you are saying too and we all have opinions .. but hey lets stay in a POSITVE frame of mind here.We are so so fortunate to have what we have/had. To ALL just get on down to the next gig :woohoo:
Smile x

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2640

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
I couldn't get to any of the gigs on this short tour, but for crying out loud !

People have been moaning about the same old songs in the setlist, so Steve listens and plays some of the older stuff, some of it for the first time in donkeys years.

And still people moan.

If you really want to have your own personal juke box, stay at home and play your albums. Maybe even enjoy yourselves and get some beers in.
There's no pleasing some folk.

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2641

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
I recall Steve saying on stage at the Hammersmith Odeon just before the opening guitar riff for the Motown classic 'my girl' I don't perform many songs that I didn't write, if I do it's because I wish to god i'd written it myself. I personally love these self indulgent minutes of Steves shows, and they are quite rare. I challenge everyone out there to name 20 songs that Steve has performed that he didn't write (not including songs that have appeared on studio albums) in his entire career. Off you go Ray Smith et al. xxx

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2642

• stewart g
Absolutely sweet marie
not alone anymore
mr tambourine man
hey jude
the way you do the things yo do
heartbeat
peggy sue got married
the wonder of you
let it be
dont
another saturday night
you wont see me
my girl
let it be me
unchained melody
all i have to do is dream
the man with the child in his eyes
father and son
always on my mind
them heavy people
love me

I personally love the cover versions,especially Not Alone Anymore and Father and Son.
Seeing musicians let rip and paying homage to their hero's is great and the latest version of Cockney Rebel can do justice to any classic song!
I'd love an album of cover versions..... :)

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2643

• Ray Smith
Stu beat me to it :-) I think I might know you now tho Phamtom... did we last meet way back in the clouds at Shepards Bush a few years back? :-)