Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cattle Market(Harborough)

Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3015

• Mr Raffles
As ever, Steve put on an excellent show with a setlist difficult to fault.The town is lovely and full of interesting history.However, i must be honest about my feelings concerning the venue...i've seen better! Maybe it's just me but for the second concert running (Lymington Spa being the other one) there was no obvious indication that it would be all standing.I know for some this is what they want a Harley gig to be,an animated crowd,lots of 'atmos' etc but i think it's also important to cater for those who prefer not to mingle with a mass of hot,sweaty and over excited fans and actually have a little bit of comfort.The venue last night offered either the 'front row experience' or what was to prove an even less desirable experience at the back of the hall.If you tried sitting on the floor even for brief moments you were in danger of being trampled on or given a shower of spilt or splashed alcohol.Perhaps even worse was the attitude of many of those who frequented the 'bar' (a kind of hole in the wall really)It was just non stop talking.The hall wasn't massive yet i couldn't hear any of Steve's chats between songs due to the on going noise.Why do people pay to see the guy and spend the whole concert chatting to their friends as if they were down the pub rather than a concert?The discomfort of the situation really took the edge off the show and an early exit was unfortunately the humane option! I've also noticed that the Bury St Edmunds Apex gig in December is also 'all standing'.Once again it's not really that clear to a lot of people until the ticket is actually sold.Hopefully the hall is an improvement on the spit and sawdust Market Harborough Leisure Centre which for this 'old timer' was just a bit too rock n roll!! On a serious note to finish i'd have to ask Steve himself whether he would have attended a gig such as last night's one?? Even for an artist that you idolise it was a bit of a wake up call to say the least and made me think twice about attending another 'standing room only' concert.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3018

• joanna
:( Hello Mr Raffles, just a thought. If you check the gig venue website out before ordering the tickets it will often indicate standing or seated or contact the venue direct. Hope this helps for the next time.
Smile x

Re:Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3019

• Mr Raffles
In some cases Joanna the venue is advertised as having 'some' seating and then on the night of the gig they decide against opening up certain parts of the theatre which is normally the seated area.I'm sure that the Leamington Spa concert wasn't promoted as being 'all standing'.Apologies if i'm mistaken on that one. Even so there should still be a certain standard adhered to regardless of whether it's standing/seating or both.Market Harborough Leisure Centre seemed a little lacking in that department.You couldn't even get a coffee there!!!

Re:Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3020

• cockneyr3bel
I was at market harborogh,it was stated when i booked that it was all standing,(although there were tables and chairs on both sides of hall)having been to all standing before,the trick is to get there early,i did,and actually met the man himself,outside,which made my night.
im afraid i was one of the hot sweaty bodies at the front,and im an old timer to(mid 50's)but it was worth every second of any discomfort. the nearly 2 1/2hour show,a 5 song encore,fantastic set list,and a fantastic atmosphere.
i do agree though,why go to see him and spend all night at the bar,who needs alchohol to enjoy a show like that.
as mr raffles didnt here the banter,steve actually said,he didnt realise,we were standing,he thought maybe we were on benches.

Re:Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3021

• cockneyrebel1
B) Mr Raffles, at least you were lucky enough to attend what I am told was a superlative show! I would have happily stood for the two/two and a half hours of the set. Sadly family circumstances did not permit me to be there. I'm envious of those who were, standing, sitting, hopping on one foot or whatever!!!! B)

Re:Cattle Market(Harborough) 12 years 11 months ago #3022

• cockneyr3bel
hi cockneyrebel,so sorry you couldnt make it,it was indeed superb,fantastic,amazing ,i would gladly have stood another 2 hours,for such a show.