& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hobo With A Grin/Candidate

Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4876

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
So after finally getting my internet back I have been enjoying the decedent pleasures that yotube has to offer. Namely a couple tracks from Hobo With a Grin. Guess what I'm spending a little bit of my tax return on? :cheer:

I Don't Believe (God is An Anarchist) is just gorgeous, with some pretty damn impressive vocal delivery on some pretty damn tight lyrics. (Anyone know where to find the lyrics? I want to snag a couple lines for quotes.)

I also think I'm just a little obsessed with Amerika The Brave atm, it gets better on each listen and was stuck in my head all yesterday. Just amazing.

It will be a couple weeks till my return comes in, I will be getting this one: www.amazon.com/Hobo-With-Candidate-Steve...id=1334365773&sr=8-1 so I can get Candidate too.

I have obviously heard Riding the Waves from Candidate, but also already love One More Time and Woodchopper. :)

What are your favorites from these two?
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4891

• Maelitta
Hobo with a Grin
Except for Riding the Waves, Hobo with a Grin doesn't really "speak" to me ; I find the production too "marshmallow" if you see what I mean. Don't like the string arrangement neither all these voices that ruin the authenticity he's used to. It sounds very american ... Don't want to offend you Ali, but it doesn't suit to SH's specificities.
Even this version of Riding the Waves is played too slow, too soft. There are better ones :woohoo:
Faith Hope and Charity, even if it is ok could have been a totally fantastic title if it wouldn't have been produced in this kind of Isaac Hayes style.

The Candidate
:woohoo:
I love this album.
SH seems to make up with his own style with The Candidate. Excellent production, great use of the different instruments, some used in an funny way, back to a more rock style, expressive way to sing like on The Psychomodo, kind of acting his songs. Well, with this album Steve Harley is back.
Audience with the Man : the man is here !
Woodchopper : woooo !!!! He is living the song, he's acting the song, he's great.
Freedom's Prisoner : perfect. The SH's footprint.
love on the Rocks : not my favourite but his voice ont it ... :blush:
Who's Affraid : isn't a new version of Sling It ? ;)
One More Time : :)
How Could It Feels : how not like it ? Pure Steve Harley way
From Here to Eternity : rock suits him very well.
Young Hearts : probably the one I like the less of this album. Because back to this american style : too much choir, too much american keybord style. Well, it's my opinion, I just don't like this false pathos some american musicians put in their music.
One last thing : the photo on the sleeve !!! :woohoo:

I would have loved to give your the lyrics for I Don't Believe (God is An Anarchist) but strangely, they are not in the vinyl :unsure:

Re:Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4896

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Oh no, it doesn't offend me. I have nothing to do with it, heh. No, I agree with you about the sort of album style it is 100 percent, I guess even all that gloss can't hide the cool voice and delivery that gets me every time. THAT VOICE! It's true that he's at his best when he's being very real. How many artists can say that?

Which is why everyone should see him live and I'd still love that new live album.

I haven't heard this version of Riding the Waves yet, but I'm sort of a completionist, and I'd love to see how it evolved you know? :)

"I just don't like this false pathos some american musicians put in their music."

Right? I just don't buy into a lot of US artists for maybe just that reason. I mean I LOVE Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo, (Danny's vocals are INSANE) but I'd be hard pressed to find another American in my Top ten. (Missy Elliot might squeeze in there, but she's not really a singer...)

Super stoked to add both to my collection! Then I just need to get my grimy paws on Poetic Justice....
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4904

• midge
Hi AlizarinStag,
It took me a while (years) to get used to the intrusive 'synth' sound of the 'Hobo' album but now it's one of my favourites. At the time it was such a diverse change in direction and I think it was hard for a lot of people to appreciate it; what with the strings and laid back feel but perhaps that was LA's influence (Mr H was living there at the time I believe). Highlights for me are Amerika the Brave featuring Marc Bolan on geetar, Someone's coming (a song I listen to often as I like the simple message - just hold on, someone's coming for you) and Living in a Rhapsody but there isn't a song on there that I don't like.
Freedom's Prisoner just blew me away when it was released as a single. From the rolling intro, the monk like chanting background vocals to the wordless chorus - great unusual stuff. How did this single not chart? Woodchopper, How Good it Feels and Love on the Rocks top quality songs. 'I had a time of endless fun, but, never more will be' me too Steve, me too.

Re:Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4905

• crazy horse
AlizarinStag wrote:
So after finally getting my internet back I have been enjoying the decedent pleasures that yotube has to offer. Namely a couple tracks from Hobo With a Grin. Guess what I'm spending a little bit of my tax return on? :cheer:

I Don't Believe (God is An Anarchist) is just gorgeous, with some pretty damn impressive vocal delivery on some pretty damn tight lyrics. (Anyone know where to find the lyrics? I want to snag a couple lines for quotes.)

I also think I'm just a little obsessed with Amerika The Brave atm, it gets better on each listen and was stuck in my head all yesterday. Just amazing.

It will be a couple weeks till my return comes in, I will be getting this one: www.amazon.com/Hobo-With-Candidate-Steve...id=1334365773&sr=8-1 so I can get Candidate too.

I have obviously heard Riding the Waves from Candidate, but also already love One More Time and Woodchopper. :)

What are your favorites from these two?
.......MAELITTA ,you are totally the opposite to me i love HOBO WITH A GRIN and dont get on very well with CANDIDATE which is possibly my least played harley album ,you are right about one thing though HOBO was purposely produed in that way in an attempt to break into the american market ,but the americans just didnt get steve harley (their loss)

Re:Hobo With A Grin/Candidate 12 years 5 months ago #4909

• cheri
AlizarinStag wrote:
Oh no, it doesn't offend me. I have nothing to do with it, heh. No, I agree with you about the sort of album style it is 100 percent, I guess even all that gloss can't hide the cool voice and delivery that gets me every time. THAT VOICE! It's true that he's at his best when he's being very real. How many artists can say that?

Which is why everyone should see him live and I'd still love that new live album.

I haven't heard this version of Riding the Waves yet, but I'm sort of a completionist, and I'd love to see how it evolved you know? :)

"I just don't like this false pathos some american musicians put in their music."

Right? I just don't buy into a lot of US artists for maybe just that reason. I mean I LOVE Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo, (Danny's vocals are INSANE) but I'd be hard pressed to find another American in my Top ten. (Missy Elliot might squeeze in there, but she's not really a singer...)

Super stoked to add both to my collection! Then I just need to get my grimy paws on Poetic Justice....
Ana, I think I bought my copy of Poetic Justice on Amazon.com. It was the first Steve Harley CD I ever bought and it still is one of my favorite ones, along with The Quality of Mercy. Anyway, try Amazon.com to find the CD. Hope you are doing okay, sweety. :)

Cheri
  • Page: