Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Olympics

The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5898

• psychomenagerie
So, just days to go, and to be absolutely honest I'm sick to the back teeth of them already, to be fair I'm a football man, so glorified school sportsdays have never been my thing, but, one look at the overall cost of these games, especially whilst the country is in so much trouble, and you really have to wonder about the sense/morality of holding them, depending on which report you believe, I've seen estimates ranging from £12-24 BILLION, to me it seems a shocking waste of money, as the government are continually cutting down on essential services.

Also, seeing buffoons such as the mayor of London, telling people to stop whinging, whilst traffic tails back to horrendous levels, as he and his sycophants casualy drive by in the "olympic" lane, sick of seeing any mp desperate to have their mugs on tv, telling us how "wonderful" an event its going to be for the country, How, how is it going to be wonderful for the country.
Thousands of tickets remain unsold, the vast majority of people I've spoken to are, at best mildly interested, at worst, like me couldn't give a damn.

Rant over, your thoughts.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5902

• fatfish59
I, for one, love the Games & can't wait.

I do agree that the costs should be cut way back. I think the "official" cost is £9bn, ridiculous in the current economic climate. But when the games were won by the GB bid team, the world was in a much better financial state.

Games aren't sold out because of the ridiculous way they have sold tickets. I applied for 5 different sets of tickets in the first wave & didn't get one ticket. So didn't bother again. Now I see some of those events are not sold out (football). Those tickets should now be given away to local youth sports clubs in the area.

Re:The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5912

• Maelitta
I watched the ceremony last night. Must say I was astonished, it was absolutely fabulous !!!

I understand what psychomenagerie says, though. I suppose I would have thought the same if the Olympic Games would have been in France and if the country would have spent so much money indeed ...

One thing suprised me very much : Muse was supposed to be there, isn'it ? Their Survival is the official hymn.
Do they explain their absence in the british newpapers ?

Re:The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5916

• midge
Hi Maelitta, it was just a rumour that they were appearing at the opening ceremony. According to the interview at the below link they are appearing at the closing ceremony.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18607319

Re:The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5919

• joanna
Well I am enjoying it all so far... Yes the cost issue is a difficult one .
Im just hoping it will inspire all youngsters and more so the folks holding the purse strings to invest in our youth so that we can keep the Great in " Great Britain"
P.s and how do they get those flags to stay so flat as they row over them on the water?? :laugh:
jo
Smile x

Re:The Olympics 12 years 1 month ago #5925

• Maelitta
midge wrote:
Hi Maelitta, it was just a rumour that they were appearing at the opening ceremony. According to the interview at the below link they are appearing at the closing ceremony.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18607319

OK ! Thanks for the answer, Midge !
  • Page: