Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First two albums with no singles, please explain

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7113

• Daz401
  • I've been thro 700 changes, and thats just a few
Thats what im trying to say, no big big deal wasnt on the H M too, I just want to know why
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7114

• darren22
I have never heard a reason why ? Perhaps someone could explain ?

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7119

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Psychomodo was released June 1974. Big Big Deal was released in autumn 1974 and was a solo Steve Harley project with only his mate Stuart Elliott on drums. I think the band were already falling out with each other by then. Perhaps Steve just wanted to see how well he could do without the band?
Dunno about Judy Teen.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7123

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
I recall Steve wondering out loud at one of his rare early 80's concerts why Judy Teen wasn't on an album but never gave us a conclusive answer. x

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7124

• Crawsnest
I don't have any info on why particular singles didn't make it to the albums, but way back then it was the norm for singles not to be on the albums. That was true for many artists..

It wasn't until 'thriller' and 'rumours' that the record companies started issuing all the album tracks as singles so they could make more money..

I'm not sure whether it applies with SH, but often the singles were released under a different record label and then the bigger recording companies would move in with an album deal when a single became popular..

I personally have a good number of singles in my vinyl collection that never made it to album until they appear on 'greatest hits/compilations' many years later.. and even then many of the B'sides never made it to album and got lost in the rush for money...

Re:First two albums with no singles, please explain 11 years 9 months ago #7136

• midge
I may be wrong (and I usually am) but I thought it basically went like this; the record company said to Steve after listening to The Psychomodo that there were no hit singles on it. Steve then said that he had an idea for a song and that he was sure it would be a hit and wrote Judy Teen - borrowing heavily from Catch a falling star.
Big Big Deal as I understand it,was recorded after Cockney Rebel Mark 1 split and before Mark 2 was formed, I think Steve was considering going solo at the time.