Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Songs Played recently -

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2153

• Mr Raffles
I totally agree with the last post.It's not actually a major change of setlist that's needed,just the occasional 'gold nugget' of a song inserted into a concert.A song like Crazy Raver/Singular Band/Black or White/Muriel the Actor or any of a vast number of songs that haven't been played for 20,maybe 30 years or more.For many fans a simple inclusion like this would mean more than Steve probably realizes.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2154

• paulno1
Could'nt quite believe No Bleeding Hearts was dropped at the New Years Eve show in Holmfirth.A best of with songs culled from a poll on this site and the magnificent Harleyfanzone site would'nt go amiss,get your finger out Steve.

Paul Carolan.

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2155

• Mr Raffles
I've composed my own list of songs that have not been played live for 30 Years.Yes i repeat that is 30 years...and many many tours! Here go's...Crazy Raver,Muriel The Actor,Singular Band,Such A Dream,Big Big Deal,49th Parallel,White White Dove,Black or White,Everything Changes,Don't Go Don't Cry,Too Much Tenderness,Give Me More,Innocence and Guilt,Is It True What They Say,Amerika The Brave,Living In A Rhapsody,Hot Youth,Faith Hope and Charity,Woodchopper,From Here to Eternity,Young Hearts.You could also add to that list Death Trip,What Ruthy Said,Cavaliers,Back To The Farm,It Wasn't Me,Understand,GI Valentine,Finally a Card Game,Carry Me Again as songs that have only lasted ONE tour since that time.These are all tracks from Steve's 1970's albums.Hardly obscure b-sides.Perhaps these are some of the 'golden nuggets' that a lot of fans would love to hear live again??

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2156

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
If I heard Cavaliers live my head might explode. So you know, he better not add that to the set list this summer. Just saying. (OH GOD I'M SO KIDDING. IT WOULD MAKE MY YEAR! Haha) :woohoo:

Mr. Raffles, you made a very good list. Black or White, Back to the Farm, Everything Changes, Woodchopper, It Wasn't Me etc...some of my faves.

I saw My Only Vice on the set list Rachel posted, that too would make an ecstatic little stag out of me. ;) (I'll be pretty ecstatic no matter what if this trip pans out.)
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2157

• Mr Raffles
My head did explode in 2000 when Steve performed Cavaliers.It was awesome yet only makes it more frustrating that such a classic song only get's one 'outing' in 35 years! I realise that Steve can't play ALL the songs everybody wants to hear but surely he shouldn't let 'classic' songs like these gather dust on the shelf for such a long time.A lifetime for you Alizarin? By the way my head has assembled itself again!

Re:Songs Played recently - 13 years 6 months ago #2158

• RachelPAtoSH
Steve writes:
Someone's been reading my emails!!! At least, it’s uncanny how the Forum has read my mind.
Why, only last week I fired one off to big Adam who's coming back in on drums after Greece with a list of titles he may never have played before, to be learnt for rehearsals prior to the run of Summer UK shows.
Lo! Faith, Hope & Charity came top, but all in no special order, just random and picked from my own memory bank, trying to re-discover the young Steve and what the lad might have been saying back in the day: Cavaliers, which Adam played at Blackheath (that's a good, hot concert, and I have it on CD - maybe one day we'll get it released, even if only for sale by us, at shows and through the web shop) came next, then Muriel The Actor, which a couple of people have been advocating for some time, Singular Band, Ritz, Too Much Tenderness and Freedom's Prisoner. Stuart's got other matters to deal with this year and I will miss him very much (we all will), but Adam will be welcomed back to the fold with much pleasure.
Thing is though, a Tour is just that: a Tour. We move from town to town, taking the show with us. There's a limit to how much we can mess with it night after night if we're ever going to get it spot on. All the rehearsal in the world doesn't get a band to the point where they really gel and thrill each other and their audience - it only comes from playing Live, and that means night after night of repetition. I don't mind that too much, as long as there's also the tracks where we can improvise, meaning the show, at least several parts of it, really are never the same twice. If you buy tickets for 2 shows or more on any given tour, you're going to catch more or less the same show. As for dropping The Lighthouse...not yet. Barry excels and I like giving him that moment, and I like the response from all audiences. I have to rememebr that 99 per cent of each room has never heard it like this before. It stays, but that doesn't mean Ritz can't come back in the same set.
Tonight, St Albans: 600+ people, and only a small handful of them will already have seen a show on this 3-man acoustic tour, so I play for almost 600 first-timers as well as those who come a second time. For the summer, the Fender Telecaster will get dusted off: Cavaliers needs it, and we'll have to stock up on harmonicas in the key of E - I wear one almost right out after just one thrashing of that song! Before that, Stuart's farewell on the Aegean coast...blimey, Rachel, this could have been a proper diary piece.