Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Covers

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2630

• Mr Raffles
I must agree with you on that one.There's too many great Harley songs left unplayed so why doesn't Steve rehearse these ones? I guess for those with very long memories we also must remember that the Dylan cover was performed live by the very first Cockney Rebel in 1973.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2631

• RachelPAtoSH
Rebel: There is no "need".
It's called "fun", or as Steve might put it, "sending a nod to those without whom..." Showing respect, and having fun on stage. He played 20+ of his own songs, and people have nbeen begging for change, nagging for him to re-introduce old songs. Were you looking in this Forum then??

Anyway, Prince plays covers (He doesn't NEED to), seemingly out of nowhere (see recent Live reviews); Springsteen plays covers (He doesn't NEED to - War, and others); U2 play covers (They don't NEED to - many - also linked in with their own material as Steve often does); Steve occasionally plays covers, and like those other artists the main point is to give people fun, a memory, a chance to remember where it all began; for Steve it was with Dylan and The Beatles; one day he'lll probably perform a Motown song on stage...but not at the "expense" of any other track. He sang, on stage at those recent concerts, for two and a half hours. He's entitled to rock out with a couple of minutes of covers in all that time, don't you think? "Tumbling Down" might well have appeared if there had been a fourth show in that short run - and you would have missed it anyway. On the other hand, it might not have appeared. With 12 albums and a myriad of others' songs to use, why would Steve play "Tumbling Down" for the rest of his life?
Maybe if you'd been there, your criticism might carry some weight....but you weren't thetr, to ENJOY the FUN those who were there enjoyed. I saw two and they were hugely memorable nights. Maybe those who were there will give their own views, many have already, on the 2 short covers SH played in amongst the 150 minutes spent on stage.....RACHEL

PS Steve has explained many times on stage the depth, the hidden messages in the seemingly simple True Love Will Find You In The End - it's not, in Steve's humble opinion, "pretty ordinary" after all

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2635

• GordonJ
always great to see Steve's people backing him up (nice one rachel)........the set list you've read is just words, or type on paper (screen>>>) but being there, watching and listenting is very different. Believe me no one left Leamington on Thursday night after THAT performance moaning that he disn't play Tumbling down. We were all too happy ans stunned to even think of what WASN't played! Two and a half hours of Steve being Steve basically. We felt privlieged actually.

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2636

• ffcforever
  • Primary School PE and School Sports Teacher
I believe Cockney Rebel Mk1 might have played the Dylan cover at a gig very late in 1973 - I am 52 and sometimes the mind plays tricks, but when I heard it at Wavendon it wasn't instantly recognisable until the chorus (I have a lot of sixties Beatles and Dylan recordings - but didn't really get into them until 1973/4 when I really started buying albums-God bless Virgin Records, 100 New Oxford Street, Basement! - and as for the cover from Rubber Soul - PURE BLOODY GENIUS!

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2637

• PeterJH
I know what you are getting at Rebel, and you have a perfect right to an opinion. That said, Leamington was an outstanding success, mixing old with new, and the covers added not subtracted to the performance/occasion. It was jaw droppingly good I can assure you. The safety net withdrawn, this was a setlist much appreciated by me and many others.

Oh what a night! :woohoo:

Re:Covers 13 years 1 month ago #2638

• Rebel
I'm not disputing that Leamington was no doubt a brilliant gig. Over the years I have travelled all over the country to see Cockney Rebel and have never seen a bad performance. The playlist is always an emotive subject, since everyone has different favourites, as shown on this forum. As they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Steve has done a fantastic job re-introducing old songs. With 12 albums worth of material to choose from It must be a nightmare deciding what to leave out. I suppose this is my point, with so many great songs at your disposal, do you really need to look elsewhere for material?
Yes, most bands play covers. But would Prince not play Purple Rain? Would U2 not play 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'?. Springsteen - Summer of 69?
Steve has no obligation to play Tumbling Down 'all of his life' nor any song, but in my opinion it is such a Cockney Rebel anthem, that it is a must. I know Steve would not want the shows to become predicable, but with so much of his own material, there is always room for plenty of surprises and keeping the set fresh, whilst sticking to a core of classic songs.
Rachel, long may Steve have fun performing and at the end of the day it is his prerogative what he plays. I would have loved to have been at Leamington, and would have enjoyed it as much as anyone. What he doesn't play doesn't detract from a great concert - what he does play just adds to its greatness. So, in my humble opinion, singing along to 'oh dear look what they've done to the blues, blues, blues....' would have been the icing on the cake - albeit a very special cake anyway.