Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 5 months ago #4784

• cockneyrebel1
B) Hi Snowy
Be sure to post what you make of those lyrics.....You're obviously great at seeking out hidden messages. Good luck and enjoy!! B)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 5 months ago #4786

• Maelitta
Snowy wrote:
Hi Maelitta !!!

I bought the album Best Years Of Our Lives on vinyl as an LP back in about 1975 I think. There's a track called Back To The Farm on the album, which when played at normal speed (33.3RPM) on a record deck or turntable, seems to have a very deep slow sound in the background towards the end of the track. It's hardly noticable. I then played the track at 45RPM, which was the speed you generally play 'singles' at and to my amazement there was a voice recorded over the track, but still a bit slurred. My record deck also had a 78RPM speed, which was for records on vinyl before I was born, but never the less I played Back To The Farm at this speed. The track sounded ridiculous, but revealed the voice over as saying:

'If you play this at 78 it makes more sense now, doesn't it?'

With the advent of CD's anybody with this album on CD can't verify or test this out, but I was hoping a fellow more mature poster to this website would know what I was talking about. Surely I can't be the only one.

Snowy

Very interesting Snowy. Thank you for the explanation.
You probably are a musician yourself to be able to notice this deep slow in the background !
Did you find any other of these strangeness on other songs ?

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 5 months ago #4816

• Snowy
Hi Maelitta,

The last few years at school and most of my teens were spent as a roadie for my mates that were in a band called 'Image'. I guess I got used to hearing music that was out of tune or sounded a bit funny during many band rehearsals (sorry chaps), which must have assisted the Back To The Farm discovery.

My only claim to being a musician....and I can't believe I'm revealing this.....is....er,hum.....playing the bugle in The Boys Brigade. Sorry everyone...I feel much better now for sharing that and a great weight has been lifted !!!

Apart from that I haven't proactively sought to discover any other hidden messages in songs like cockneyrebel1 at uni. I am aware of some artists recording messages backwards in parts of their songs, but can't for the life of me name them at this point.

I might try having a pop at working out the messages in the songs cockneyrebel1 has suggested and post for comment. As we all appreciate Harley is a true songwriter and deciphering his beam of light could be somewhat challenging.

Now, where's that bugle....yes it was Cookhouse, Last Post and the theme from the Jellytots sweets advert. Yes, yes it all coming back....it all coming back to me !!!

Cheers,
Snowy :laugh:

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 5 months ago #4829

• Maelitta
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here's to thank you and bring back memories !

http://csimg.leguide.com/srv/FR/28003381aecfe657861a5d4aaa64c7408/T/110x110/C/FFFFFF/url/stag