Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl

Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4266

• Snowy
I wanted to ask how many of us played 'Back To The Farm' on the vinyl LP 'Best Years Of Our Lives' at 78RPM instead of 33.3RPM, to hear the super-imposed voice-over saying:

'If you play this at 78 it makes more sense now, doesn't it?'

I'm sure I ruined at least one stylus doing this - anybody else???

Apologies if this topic has already been covered - still a bit new to the website, but thought it an interesting mention.

Snowy
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4275

• Maelitta
What is this story ? I never heard about that. Can you say more ?

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4295

• Snowy
Hi Maelitta !!!

I bought the album Best Years Of Our Lives on vinyl as an LP back in about 1975 I think. There's a track called Back To The Farm on the album, which when played at normal speed (33.3RPM) on a record deck or turntable, seems to have a very deep slow sound in the background towards the end of the track. It's hardly noticable. I then played the track at 45RPM, which was the speed you generally play 'singles' at and to my amazement there was a voice recorded over the track, but still a bit slurred. My record deck also had a 78RPM speed, which was for records on vinyl before I was born, but never the less I played Back To The Farm at this speed. The track sounded ridiculous, but revealed the voice over as saying:

'If you play this at 78 it makes more sense now, doesn't it?'

With the advent of CD's anybody with this album on CD can't verify or test this out, but I was hoping a fellow more mature poster to this website would know what I was talking about. Surely I can't be the only one.

Snowy

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4296

• stewart g
Snowy,
I wonder was it the late great George Ford having a bit of Fun during Back To The Farm,like he was at the end of side 2?

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4311

• Maelitta
Snowy wrote:
Hi Maelitta !!!
I bought the album Best Years Of Our Lives on vinyl as an LP back in about 1975 I think. There's a track called Back To The Farm on the album, which when played at normal speed (33.3RPM) on a record deck or turntable, seems to have a very deep slow sound in the background towards the end of the track. It's hardly noticable. I then played the track at 45RPM, which was the speed you generally play 'singles' at and to my amazement there was a voice recorded over the track,
:S very strange story.
I have this vinyl ... I'll check ... I will spend my week-end on it ! :laugh:

Re:Back To The Farm At 78RPM On Vinyl 12 years 6 months ago #4324

• Snowy
Hi Stewart....what was the fun he was having on side 2. My memory is letting me down???

Snowy