Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''...........

The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7009

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
So it was around a year ago when we first got confirmation that this 'gig of all gigs' for Steve Harley fans was actually going to happen and that there would be a priority sale of tickets on this official website,(as it turned out, a brilliant piece of business acumen).
Not long after the official announcement I thought it would be good to try and get all the fans together in one place on the day/night.
On 12th December last year Steve and the full band had a gig scheduled at the 'Cockpit' in Leeds. I had a couple of tickets for this and was going with a good friend and long standing Harley fan,Julie Brown from Osset, West Yorkshire. The concert was excellent in a smallish and somewhat under subscribed venue,but as per usual Steve and the band gave 100%.
Julie really wanted to have a word with Steve after the show so we went around to the stage door and waited.Quite a while actually,the band were having a well deserved meal !
Eventually they came out and stopped to talk with us,Adam Houghton was such a friendly down to earth guy and posed for photos with us.
Then out came Steve,on what was a bitterly cold night but he still gave us a good ten or fifteen minutes of his time.
As the conversation went on we spoke of the biggie in Birmingham and how I thought it might be a good idea to get the fans together for a mini convention so to speak. Steve liked the idea so much he casually said ...try Jurys Inn,its very close to the Symphony Hall,and so the seeds began to grow.The rest is history and everything worked out fine.
Now just a couple of months ago I was contacted by Comeuppance Ltd and was thanked for making the arrangements for the fans.It was also suggested that Steve would like to give something back to his most loyal fans who gave that early commitment on here of buying tickets early and going for the Hotel get together idea.Things moved quite quickly and I was asked if I could arrange to give out signed flyers as a memento of the night to those who were in Jurys Inn.
So a parcel was despatched to my home address containing 149
concert flyers signed personally by Steve Harley,BUT also ONE only flyer signed just 'STEVE'.....THE GOLDEN TICKET.
A commitment was made by STEVE AND COMEUPPANCE that the person who got this SPECIAL on the night would get two tickets to a concert of their choice in the next twelve months, be it 3 MAN ACOUSTIC SHOW,FULL ROCK BAND OR IF BIRMINGHAM WAS A SUCCESS, ANOTHER SHOW WITH THE ORCHESTRA/CHOIR. The winner had the choice.A superb gesture by Steve to even come up with the idea in what has been a very busy schedule,with touring Norway,Belgium and Holland,rehearsals,radio promotional work,etc,etc.
So a couple of weeks ago I hinted in the forum that I would have a special souvenir of the night for as many people I could hand them out to on Saturday night,and was specifically asked by Rachel to do this AFTER the concert back at the Jurys Inn.
SO ALL I HAD TO DO WAS HAND OUT THE ENVELOPES AND ANNOUNCE WHO HAD CHOSEN ' THE GOLDEN TICKET'.
The best part of all this for me,was the very appreciative comments and feedback I was given from everyone that Steve had actually taken the time to sign all those flyers to give to his (arguably) most loyal fans who had made that very early commitment many months before.
Who can name another celebrity/rock star who has ever done anything like this,because I have never heard of it happening before.
So there we go that is the story behind 'the golden ticket' and how it all came about.
For my part I really enjoyed the buzz of organising close to eighty rooms for all you guys from all over the u.k,europe.and the rest of the world.
Here's to next year and possibly doing it all again for MANCHESTER AND LONDON !!!

Regards and A Merry Christmas and a REBELLIOUS New year,

WILLY WONKA,
CHESTERFIELD.

OH THE WINNER YOU ASK ?????

THE TICKET WAS DRAWN FROM THE PILE AND IT WENT TO.......

KATHY PHILLIPS FROM NEVADA CITY,U.S.A.
TO A SPONTANEOUS ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR A LADY WHO HAD TRAVELLED AROUND 8,000 MILES TO BE THERE!

HER STUNNED REACTION WAS.....

'WHY ME ? THERE IS A GOD AFTER ALL' !!!!
SUMMED IT UP PERFECTLY.!!

See y'all soon,
JIMBO.
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7011

• tinakayt
Steve thank you from bottom of my heart. I shall treasure my flyer forever, you have made this middle aged lady very happy. Also thanks Jimbo for arranging all this. Definitely the best years of our lives.

Re:The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7012

• Craig
Hi Jim. Im hopeless at putting faces to names, didnt realise it was yourself who gave out the envelopes, so just to say, a very big `thank you`. It all makes sense now :-)
Yes, it was a really nice gesture from Steve, and a wonderful souvenir of a great day.

Re:The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7017

• stewart g
A great story Jim,a nice touch from Mr H and your right who would do that for their fans ? NOW THE DOWNSIDE!!..and I wasn't going to mention it but as you brought up the subject of the flyers......I LOST mine on Saturday night !!!!! an absolute shocker I know,what with the emotion of the evening and all the joy,I forgot to take it with me when we left!! :( Now if you have a spare one,I'd be very grateful old boy!! if you could send or save me it for the future! If not don't worry..it's all part of the weekend story!! :P and it will teach me to be a little more careful next time!! :woohoo:
Take Care Jim and see ya next time God willing!

Re:The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7019

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
Stewart fear not my mate !
I still have around 30 or so that were left after breakfast on sunday,so do not worry I will keep a couple for you,the rest I will be taking to The Stables to hand out there,SO ANYONE COMING TO THE STABLES GIG AND NOT AT BIRMINGHAM,LOOK OUT FOR ME IN THE FOYER, (near the bar probably) and I will let you have one.As I said only around thirty left so first come first served.!

just noticed over there on the right 400 posts on here,I am getting all emotional !!!!!
B)
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:The story behind '''The Golden Ticket''........... 11 years 9 months ago #7020

• stewart g
Jim,one will be fine old boy.As ever you deliver the goods!! :laugh: Take care and enjoy The Stables..what a stunning venue that is for sure!!THANX!!!! ;)