Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Manchester April 2014

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 4 months ago #7978

• PeterJH
Those 4 Manchester International 2 gigs Stewart were pure gold. Those memories mean more to me than even the Birmingham concert last year. There have been so many classic Harley gigs, and I have so many memories, meeting so many special people, a lot who have now disappeared.

Come back all is forgiven, indeed.

Times move on, but Harley is a constant.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 4 months ago #7979

• stewart g
Well said Pete! :) What a time!..from my unpublished book....

In the summer of 1988 I wrote to The New Musical Express to ask " What's Steve Harley doing these days? and did he have any plans to release any new material?".My letter was actually printed! and the reply was " He was recording at present and EMI having re-released Mr Soft earlier in the year followed it up with a Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel Greatest Hits collection- indicating there's still interest out there!".I Knew there was still interest out there as shortly after in the Manchester Evening News thay ran an article about sales of CD reissues and the article stated that EMI's release of the Greatest Hits Collection by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel had been one of their big hits during 1988.
Steve had not toured since 1981 and apart from the odd concert here and there very little had been seen of him with a Band on stage! He told Mike Sweeney on Manchester's Piccadilly Radio in December 1989 " I went to lunch with my agent at the end of 1988 and said I'm bored and he said you want to tour don't you and I replied Yes but can I?, is there an audience?It wil break my heart if no one comes!"
Towards the end of 1988 I heard that plans had been put into place for a small number of tour dates in the UK,Norway and Holland to in Steve's words " test the tempreature".....

and so the book continues...
"I was really chuffed that a tour had been announced,Seeing an advert back in the New Musical Express was just like the old days! and even better was that a date in Manchester had been incorporated in the tour.The International 2 had a great reputation for being the perfect venue to see Bands I'd heard the capacity was well over 1300 with standing downstairs and a balcony upstairs.I quickly booked the tickets for the concert which was held on 17 March 1989.As we made our way to The International on the Friday evening both Deborah and myself had mixed emotions.We were both looking forward to seeing the show but also a little nervous,Whats Steve like these days?,What about the Band? and will anyone else be there? The ticket said the concert would start at 8pm so we arrived around 7.00.To our great shock as we got near to the venue we couldn't believe our eyes as people were queing from the front of the venue all the way round the side and right through the car park.There were hundred's already waiting to get in ! We knew then that Steve still had a great live audience and as a long standing Fan I'd have been gutted if there had been a small audience at the International.As we qued up I was buzzing " I've waited years for this" I said to Deborah." I know she said,I'm pleased for you your Band are touring again,although you never thought they would did you?" laughed Debs." Well I'm glad he has and I kept the faith" I smiled and anyway I started singing as though I was that 14 year old boy again " I know What Faith Is And What's it's worth"....

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 4 months ago #7980

• GedKen
.... and the familiar Harley-esque humour was evident "Where have you been all these years?" he would 'implore' at each gig on the Forgiven tour.

Indeed, in the quiet years after Camden Palace '84 I had thought that was that.

Steve has played to at least three times as many people in Britain since '89 compared with the glorious '70s.

I guess you could say we are an audience with the man! (Ahem, :blush: sorry, couldn't resist that one).

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 4 months ago #7983

• jollyroger
Wish I'd caught one or two of those infamous International 2 shows, the one in 88/89?? has gone down in legend. Which was it, Stewart, the one Steve has been quoted as saying "backstage, as the lights dimmed, we heard the great roar and it was electric" or something close to that.
Re Bridgewater Hall next year, I plan to be in that city overnight, queue early at the front door and snap up a good pair, halfway back in the stalls, close to centre, the moment they open the doors and the box office blind shoots up!! And if Spaced Out and Rock N Roll Parade get added to the two albums, those who manage to get a ticket are in for some treat. Let's hope you're reading this Mr H!!!
PS My two for The Stables look like Gold dust, a few rows back centre.

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 4 months ago #7986

• Jack
Absolutely wonderful news regarding the concert in Manchester, having been at Birmingham. I am coming down with my wife this time and hope to meet up with some of you. Hope you are well Gedken....less than a year and we will hear ' I'll spit in your eye, it's better than lying anytime'.

Re:Manchester April 2014 11 years 3 months ago #7988

• GedKen
Hello Jack,

yes, looking forward to it all - more so since Stewart set out the significance of Manchester in CR history.

Glad Birmingham has been recorded and official clips have been put on Youtube as well; all helps as anticipation builds for Manchester.

Never thought I'd ever see some of those tracks being performed live - and now we have yet another opportunity!!! :woohoo:

We will have to bag out tickets here as soon as they go on sale here - Bridgewater has only 10% more seats than Birmingham - so it is bound to sell out again!